iPhone 6, GS4 Will Compete Over NFC, Not Screen Size | The iPhone 6 News Blog

iPhone 6, GS4 Will Compete Over NFC, Not Screen Size

Posted by Michael Nace on Tuesday Sep 18, 2012 Under iPhone 6 Opinion

iphone 6 nfcWith the iPhone 5′s new elongated screen, Apple has managed to separate itself from Samsung’s Galaxy S. 2013′s iPhone 6 and GS4 won’t battle over screen size, but rather over next-generation features, such as NFC.

Over the long, 2+ wait for the iPhone 5, no other feature was mulled over more than the screen size. Burning for a larger screen, iPhone users lamented Apple’s lag in finally expanding the iPhone’s standard screen size, which Steve Jobs was quite fond of. In the end, the new iPhone delivered a middling compromise — longer but not wider — which obviously sought to satisfy a design compromise, and give consumers an alternative to the more mini tablet-like displays of the iPhone’s chief competitor: the Samsung Galaxy series.

(I suspect the choice of a longer-but-not-wider screen for the new iPhone had a lot to do with the impending iPad Mini, and Cupertino trying to differentiate between their two screen dimensions.)

To be sure, there is a subset of the smartphone user populace who aren’t at all happy with the iPhone 5′s elongated screen, feeling as though “longer” doesn’t really equate to “larger” in the absence of a proportional expansion of the screen dimension. But if you find yourself among those who are still hoping that the iPhone 6 could deliver a more GS3-like screen size, I wouldn’t hold your breath. In fact, I don’t think that the 2013 iPhone 6/Samsung Galaxy S IV match-up is going to be about screen sizes at all.

For as much as the tech community has been making hay about the new iPhone’s screen dimensions, early sales and pre-orders indicate that the masses are embracing the new display. This means that Apple will move on from the issue of revamping screen dimensions for the foreseeable future; as far as Cupertino is concerned, they did their part to enlarge the screen, people appear to like it, and I would imagine they’ll stand pat with this new design for at least two more years.

What this means is that the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy smartphones now offer quite different hardware features in terms of their display and user interface are concerned; they give consumers two very different choices. I think that Apple and Samsung will look to keep this differentiation in place. Or, if either of the two were to budge on copying the other’s design, it would be Samsung looking to adopt the iPhone 5′s screen dimensions.

After all, a company only overhauls a product when its sales begin to sag.

However, 2013 could usher in an entirely new battle between Apple and its top-tier Android competitors, should Cupertino decide to launch iWallet on their next iPhone iteration. For as much as the tech world is looking to Apple to really crack open the mobile payments market, Google was actually the first to market with NFC technology. Their attempt at mobile payments via Android devices has been characterized as a failure by users and the tech media, however, Google could argue that, while Apple still needs to build an NFC infrastructure from the ground up, Google already has its NFC assets in place.

And there is no way that Google will cede NFC to Apple; Android will come out of the gate at the same time that iOS does.

Apple will of course have the hardware advantage: if the iPhone 6 comes equipped with NFC, it will be well-positioned to become the new mobile payment standard. But it is also possible that Google could offer a much more feature-rich mobile payment system, what with its robust search engine, maps, and data collection. If Google can combine these elements, they might be in a better position to offer not only users, but also retail vendors, interfacing novel advertising schemes and directory listings that could giver them a tremendous B2B advantage in getting NFC adopted for Android as quick or quicker than iOS.

It’s even possible that Apple and Google might cut some kind of deal to share point-of-sale technologies.

Regardless, because of these realities, it is very likely that the iPhone 6 and GS4 might be more about what they can do as far as NFC and mobile payments are concerned, and less so about screen sizes.

Screen size is so 2012.

By Michael Nace

Michael Nace

Michael Nace is the Publisher of the iPhone 6 News Blog. He began writing about the iPhone in 2010 with the launch of the iPhone 5 News Blog, which to date has had over 12 million visits. Michael’s posts have been syndicated on the Drudge Report, the Huffington Post, and Google News, and quoted on various leading tech websites.

12 Responses to “iPhone 6, GS4 Will Compete Over NFC, Not Screen Size”

1. Vernicularis Says:

CNN reported that Samsung are to release the Galaxy S4 in February with a 5″ screen.

2. Dragonj Says:

Sounds like someone is compensating, when they hit 6 they’ll be average.

3. Dragonj Says:

Sorry, couldn’t help it (:

4. SuperhkJoe Says:

I wanna tell Samsung that they should feel shame that they are making a tablet pad instead of phone.

I suggest them to change their name to “Shamesung”.

5. Joe Says:

You know, honestly, I think a 5″ is a bit much. I don’t care how well you can see the screen, is that really going to be comfortable? Eh, maybe it will be, I don’t know. But let’s look at the other issue, Samsung is going to release another galaxy about 9 months into the product cycle. At least wait until May/June. That just show how desperate Samsung is to get back at Apple. Anyways, when (and if) Apple implements NFC, I feel they will do it in a way that is smooth, and works very well.

6. GetSwole Says:

I agree, NFC is coming and it’s gonna be big

7. Kaptivator Says:

NFC is “here” and slowly rolling out. The thing is, will Apple time it right or be fashionably late to the party? I have read where Apple Senior VP Phil Schiller said “Passbook alone does what most customers want and works without replacing existing merchant payment systems. It’s not clear that NFC is the solution to any current problem. Passbook does the kinds of things customers need today.” So with that statement I’m very anxious to see what Passbook is about. I’m also anxious to see where Apple will take us once they are ready to fully adopt NFC and implement it into iPhone handsets. Master Card has recently rolled out a “Mobile MasterCard PayPass User Interface Software Development Kit” for app developers (Read this on NFCWorld.com, just citing my source). So we may be looking at an iPhone6 and not just a 5S, the question is…When?

8. Joe Says:

@Kaptivator – I agree, I’m not completely in Apple la la land to be blinded to NFC and the differences between it and Passbook. Essentially, I think, Passbook will do a lot of what NFC does though. So we will see what Passbook can truly do. I’m pretty excited for it!

9. GetSwole Says:

NFC is most definitely Not “here.”
    When was the last time you saw someone pay for food with their phones??
    When was the last time you saw someone tap their phones together to share photos, music, etc.?
    In fact, when was the last time you knew of someone actually using NFC at all?

NFC technology exists, but it is not being used here in this industry today. No one uses NFC.
    WAIT, 5, maybe 10 people use NFC out of the whole world, yes, yes they do. SO I guess it is here already. My mistake.

10. GetSwole Says:

The fact that phones have NFC built in, does not mean people are actually using it. just a general “FYI”
    When the day comes that I say “NFC is here”, by that I mean, the mass majority of smartphone users are actually using the feature.

Having a feature on a phone that no one uses makes it 100% useless, and it isnt “here” yet

11. Kaptivator Says:

@getswole…You may not see it here in the US but in Europe its really big. I do understand where you are coming from about it not being main stream, however companies are using it now to store ID’s on cell phones. Supermarkets are using it now in Europe and that’s just to name a few. So because we don’t see people using it to pay for food, locally, does not mean its not here when here is a big place (maybe I should have been specific about locations). Main stream no, here yes. Not just 5-10 people here. My question is this…How much longer do you think it will take to become mainstream state side when its already being used in other countries? Reason I’m asking is because just this morning at the local Burger King they are installing new card readers with the swipe pad. This was as of 10:15am est.

12. Sweetbrandigirl2004 Says:

You gotta fight………for your right tooooooooooo have NFC !!!! I want my NFC it;s going to be the biggest thing since sliced bread and will be to monetary exchange what the cell phone was to communications.